Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Renwick Gallery

Blogger has been on the fritz as of lately, but tonight I am back in action! So a few weeks back I stumbled upon a random Smithsonian that I had seen in passing but never paid attention to before. (Partly because by "seen in passing" I mean I'd noticed it out of the corner of my eye after playing multiple rounds of flip cup with my kickball team at The Exchange.) Erin and I were walking from lunch at Kinkeads all the way down to the Portrait Gallery because we had the day off and it was nice out. On the way we passed the Renwick Gallery, and we decided to stop in and give the place a sober chance.

Wow! So glad we did. The museum is super small, but everything in it is so cool. I could have sat in there forever and stared at all the crafts. Check out some of my favorites.





The Native American gallery. So much going on.


This piece was amaaaaaazing. At first I couldn't figure out why they would cover up some broken and then just leave it there. But that's not the case at all. The whole piece, base and sheet, is actually one piece of wood that was carved and bleached to create the effect of a sheet over a clock. You have to go see it in person. The concept and execution are phenomenal.




No comments: