Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Paris: Berthillon



Berthillon, perhaps the most famous ice cream maker in Paris, can be found on the tiny Ile Saint-Louis. The actual store front is closed right now for renovation.* But fortunately several shops on the surrounding blocks sell the ice cream in Berthillon's stead. And the one good thing about not being able to buy from the main shop is that the notoriously long line is now dispersed over many shops. In fact, my brother and I found a slightly out-of-the-way shop to buy from and didn't wait in line at all. But even if we had waited in line for an hour, I think this ice cream still might have been worth it. I can attest that its flavor is not overstated. It is some of the best ice cream I've ever had!

*It seems like 1/3 of Paris must be closed at all times for renovation: Les Halles, Berthillon, the Picasso Museum. I think they do it on purpose to force you to come back multiple times in order to see and do everything you want to see and do.

No comments: