Saturday, August 18, 2012

Paris: Père Lachaise Cemetery



Père Lachaise Cemetery is the most famous cemetery inside Paris city limits. It does have some famous residents (Oscar Wilde*, Jim Morrison, Edith Piaf), but I think those grave sites are some of the less interesting ones (except for Oscar Wilde's). If I make it back, I would spend my time taking in all of those monuments and head stones and mausoleums that aren't included in the guide book. I'm endlessly fascinated by the different ways we choose to remember and recognize the dead.

* Funny trivia: Oscar Wilde died in poverty while staying at a run-down hotel, and apparently some of his lasts words were "Either this wallpaper goes, or I do!"

PS: If you like the cemetery, you have to check out the post on it over at Making Magique. Her photographs really do it justice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see your blog. It always makes my lunchtime more enjoyable.
Thanks!
Mom

Stephanie said...

You would enjoy the Recoleta in Buenos Aires - huuuuuuuge gothic amazing cemetery where Eva Peron (Evita) and others are buried. Remind me to show you the pics next time you visit !
S