Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cocktail Recipe: Rosemary Citrus Fizz



Now that I have my little bar, I'm trying to improve my cocktail game. Previously my "game" consisted of red wine, which I realize is not even a cocktail. So before my 3L gala the other weekend I tried out my own version of this Citron Rosemary Fizz. I did not have a citrus infused vodka, but I did have a rosemary infused gin! (Made it myself. I'm so proud of my boozy craftiness!) So I just switched the recipe up. I quickly whipped up a citrus simple syrup.


All it took was boiling:
1 cup water
1/3 cup lemon and lime juice (you can use any citrus juice though)
1/4 cup sugar


While the water was boiling down and the sugar was dissolving, I went to my new herb garden to snip some garnishes. 


Once my syrup had cooled and was ready to be cocktail-ified, I threw it and some ice into a cocktail shaker with my rosemary gin. I used about a 1/2 ounce of syrup to 1 ounce (or so . . .) of gin. Once chilled, I strained the mixture into a glass and then filled the remainder of the glass with club soda. (That's the "fizz" part.) Then I garnished with a lime and a spring of rosemary. The end result was pretty refreshing and tasty, exactly what you want for a warm evening. Once I finish this gin, though, I'd love to try it the other way around (citrus alcohol, rosemary syrup) just to see if I like it better. (And maybe to give me an excuse to make more cocktails . . . .)

PS: If you decide you want to try out the original recipe, all you need to do to make rosemary syrup is boil 2 cups of water with 1/2 cup of sugar and 4 sprigs of rosemary. Once reduced and cooled, drain the syrup (sans sprigs) into an air tight container. Voila!

No comments: