Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Recipe: Chicken Breast and Watercress Sandwich


 

 The boyfriend and I do not sit down to dinner together as much as I'd like. You know how it is--you are not hungry at the same time or neither of you wants to eat what the other does or football is one at the same time as Gossip Girl so you are forced to watch TV in separate rooms. But awhile back I had a strong desire to eat together. So I asked the bf pick out something he'd like for dinner, and I made it. We settled on this verbosely titled recipe from Epicurious: chicken breast sandwich with watercress, caramelized onions, and paprika aioli. I mostly followed the recipe except that, instead of grilling chicken breasts, I baked a whole chicken covered with a little butter and some herbs. (It's so much cheaper than buying just breasts.) Plus, I added tomatoes and avocados as topping options, and we used onion rolls rather than sourdough bread. The whole process was simple but took awhile (mostly waiting for the chicken to bake), yet I would definitely say it was worth it! I got the boyfriend's enthusiastic approval, and he's even asked me to whip up the aioli several times since. Now that I'm thinking about it, I need to reprise this recipe soon.

PS: Blogger wants to auto-correct aioli to "maiolica," which my dictionary tells me is "fine earthenware with colored decoration on an opaque white tin glaze, originating in Italy during the Renaissance." So random. Who programs this stuff?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember those plates! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Dad may start asking you for menu suggestions.
Mom

Ryan said...

There's a friend of mine at the Academy who's name is Obakai and microsoft word wanted to autocorrect it to Obama. Apparently microsoft only knows one black buy with an African-sounding name.