Saturday, July 19, 2008

What's the deal with these old mailboxes?

We were walking around the other day and stumbled upon a very old mailbox right next to a nice new mailbox. It was such a funny contrast that I had to snap a picture of it.


When we went up to investigate the old mailbox, it turned out to be quite the little mystery. There's no slot for mail only a door in the front that is locked. There's not identifying information on the mailbox either, just the words "Relay Mail" on the locked door. Then we began to notice that these old mailboxes are all over. I can't believe I never noticed them before, but I guess they just blended into the background. Now that I've noticed them, I can't stop thinking about what they are used for. Obviously you could only put mail in them if you had a key, but who has a key? Can I get a key? Anyone who can shed some light on this would be my hero. I have to know if they are just old mailboxes that were never removed or if they are some secret system or communication between spies!

2 comments:

Brianne said...

Those "mailboxes" actually hold mail that needs to be delivered to area mailboxes. I've seen postal workers open them up and take mail out, put it in their bags, and walk around the neighborhood.

The Search for J Street said...

Ooooo. That makes so much sense. Although it would have been way cooler if they had actually been part of some secret spy communication network. So much for my conspiracy theory!