Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Misty Hike in Big Sur to Pfeiffer Falls



The day I visited Big Sur State Park was overcast and damp. It felt pretty much exactly how the Twilight movie looks. But the misty weather wasn't all bad. The woods take on kind of mysterious feel in the mist, which I like even if it means there's not much of a view. Plus you have the trails pretty much to yourself on rainy days, except for particularly cute & gross (grute?) children with banana slugs apparently. I don't think you could pay me enough money to touch a slug, but this little girl was so proud of her slug and so excited to share it with us that she managed to make holding a slug look kind of adorable (even if I was scared to get too close)!

We found parking and the trail head at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park (not to be confused with Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park or USFS Pheiffer Beach). Entrance to the lot cost $10 for a day pass. From the parking lot we hiked to Pheiffer falls. The falls were not as robust as they can be, but waterfalls are always fun to see. On our way back we detoured to the Valley View Point. The vista was mostly fog, but the rain had brought all of the wild flowers to make up for it.

I wish I could say more, but after the hike, we were off to our next activity. So I only spent a few hours in the park. But that is just all the more reason to come back and actually stay inside of the park! I've got my eye on these awesome looking yurts. After Yosemite, I would shy away from anything remotely tent like, but these yurts made Conde Nast Traveler's list for glamping. So they must be good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures which make me think that is what Scotland looks like. I, too, like the little girl.
Love,
Mom