Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Downtown LA Bookstores

Today I finally browsed the shelves of 2 of downtown LA's: bookstores Caravan and The Last Bookstore. I passed by Metropolis too, but by that time I was booked-out. 2 out of 3 isn't bad right? Caravan was as cool as always thought it would be. Model ships and trains, hundred year old photos and checks (old checks are surprisingly beautiful!), and various toys, coins, and knick-knacks scatted between old books with the most gorgeous binding. As much as I loved pouring over every inch of the store, there wasn't anything calling my name. Not a lot of fiction (which is my favorite). If you are interested in history, foreign countries, philosophy, or another random topic, you will be vastly rewarded by a trip to Caravan. There's sure to be a beautiful old book to satisfy your interest.

The Last Bookstore, on the other hand, was the complete opposite -- surprisingly clean and minimalistic. It was all about the books, and I loved that. For a small book store, their selection is pretty unbelievable, lots of fiction too! I picked up Wicked, The Old Man and the Sea, and The Chronicles of Narnia (all 7 books in 1). Total cost? $16. I think those three books should be enough to get me through this summer, but I will definitely be back. You cannot beat those prices and that selection.

No comments: