Monday, May 9, 2011

Street Art: Around Town and in Museums

Have you seen Exit Through the Gift Shop? It's that street art documentary that everyone thought was going to be about Banksy, but it was actually is made by Banksy and is instead about this French guy who calls himself Mr. Brainwash. Jeremy and I caught it on Netflix, and I thought it was really enjoyable. Like the best documentaries, it tells a story with a beginning, middle, and end. Anyway one of the street artists in the documentary is Mr. Brainwash's cousin, Invader who uses old tiles to make the characters of (you guessed it) the Space Invader video game. On my trip through Silverlake I saw one of Invaders's pieces. I would have never noticed it had I not seen Exit Through the Gift Shop. It made me want to get to the MOCA street art exhibit before I head back east to learn more. I'm sure there is some controversy over whether what is essentially graffiti should be in museums, but I think it is definitely art. Plus, I think it's worth documenting as this kind of expression marks a time in our cultural history. But that's just what I think. I'm no art expert. Do you have opinions on street art?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quess what, not my thing, but I'm sure that is no surpise to you.
Mom
PS: I commented on your Canyon piece but I dont think I signed it.